Turmeric root has been revered for thousands of years in India. Maybe you have seen it on a spice jar at home and wondered what turmeric is for? It is mostly known in Western society as a spice. Many years ago, I falsely assumed that curry was a spice used in traditional Indian food or in Chinese dishes. Curry is actually made from many kinds of spices. Turmeric is often featured in some of these curry dishes. Bright yellow curry dishes have a turmeric base.
Buddhist monk’s robes are often gold-colored because they are dyed with turmeric. Turmeric has been used as a fabric dye for hundreds of years. It’s a great and safe dye for beginners. Turmeric is often added to food because of the way it adds color to the dish.
The best thing about turmeric is how it benefits your overall health and well-being. Turmeric has been a long time favorite in Indian Ayurvedic medicine. I’m talking about thousands of years. India is a land rich in history and wisdom.
But wait… I’m Only Here for the Turmeric Benefits!
Turmeric is great for the kitchen, but it is simply amazing when it comes to your health. This has been the go-to spice for any health remedy in Indian households for many generations. It is known to have an astounding list of health properties… antioxidant… antiviral… antibacterial… anti-fungal… anti-carcinogenic… and, anti-inflammatory!
But what does this mean in layman’s terms? What does it actually do for your health?
- Arthritis – The medical profession is beginning to catch on to turmeric’s effectiveness in combating inflammation. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory. Curcumin is the active component within turmeric that is responsible for its healing properties. Curcumin requires help for absorption into the human body. Turmeric, on its own merit, has been designed by nature to do what it does best.
- Antioxidant – How important are antioxidants these days! Getting caught with your pants down with nasty viruses running amok is not a good IDEA. Personally, I’m all on board with anything that amps up my immune system. Turmeric has properties that help go to war with FREE RADICAL SCAVENGERS.
- Heart disease – The compounds in turmeric are great for maintaining a healthy heart. It can help keep your arteries from clogging up.
- Digestive aid – It is useful for gut inflammation and treating irritable bowel syndrome. It also offers gallbladder and kidney support.
- Depression – Would you believe it? Curcumin (the main component in turmeric) ran head-to-head with prosaic in a research study And, without those nasty BIG PHARMA side-effects! Turmeric may help boost brain neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine.
- Alzheimer’s Disease – There is no cure for this insidious disease. BUT, prevention is possible. Turmeric’s antioxidant capabilities are excellent for stalling the onset of Alzheimer’s. Oxidation of brain cells and inflammation play a big role in cognitive decline.
- Diabetes – Turmeric works well with diabetic medication and may bolster its performance. Its antioxidant capabilities may help with insulin sensitivity.
Where Can You Buy It?
You could always go to your local health food store. But, if you have ever shopped in one of these stores, you know how pricey they can be. Wouldn’t you rather have it delivered to your doorstep? It is much more convenient that way… and less exposure to our current situation in 2020 and 2021.
If it’s past that date by the time you read this... WE MADE IT THROUGH THE PANDEMIC. However, This is not the time to lower the protection of your immune system.
Listed below are some companies that I researched that sell quality TURMERIC or CURCUMIN. Feel free to browse down and see what they have to offer. I have included many aspects of how they bring turmeric to the market and their company philosophies. There is also a focus on environmental considerations with some of the choices... if this is something that sways how you do business.
P.S. I do have affiliate links with the following companies. Most of the companies online sell through an affiliate. It does not increase the price of the products. Everything you buy on Amazon is also done through an affiliate. Thank you for your time.
Sometimes life has defining moments. An event happens to steer you in a new direction. Mitchell May, the founder of Pure Synergy, nearly died in a horrific car crash. This event sent him seeking answers. To find ways to heal. His journey led him into the world of whole foods, botanicals, and your body’s own natural healing force.
Why Pure Synergy’s Turmeric?
PURE SYNERGY states that they’ve been able to release turmeric’s fullest potential for healing with their certified organic triple extract. This wonderful extract intensifies its purity, potency, bioavailability, and effectiveness. Turmeric is well respected within the medical and homeopathic community for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric promotes healthy brain functioning. It is fabulous for digestive health as well as your heart’s health. Its anti-inflammatory effects on your body are a perfect fit for improving the health of your joints and bones.
This turmeric extract is full of curcumin (turmeric’s it factor compound). Their turmeric product contains verified levels of essential turmeric oils with super bioavailability.
Pure Synergy’s turmeric is triple extracted with CO2, H2O, and organic ethanol to maximize its curcuminoids, essential oils, and polysaccharides. Each capsule contains the equivalent of 100,000 mg or freshly harvested turmeric rhizomes. Their SuperPure®, eco-friendly extraction method separates them from the rest of the pack. They have absolutely zero tolerance for any chemical solvents or additives.
They only use ORGANIC, non-GMO, Gluten-free, Vegan, and Kosher ingredients in their formula.
What you Should Know Before Buying Turmeric Supplements!
ASORBABILITY. You may be aware that curcumin is difficult to absorb on its own. Supplement companies have searched far and wide to resolve this issue. Black pepper is commonly added to aid in assimilation.
Pure Synergy uses the entire root of the turmeric plant during their whole spectrum process. Turmeric root not only contains the curcuminoid portion (curcumin) but also contains polysaccharides and turmerone oils.
Polysaccharides are carbohydrates. Turmerones are naturally occurring healthy fatty plant-compounds. These compounds help your body absorb the curcumin into your body easier. Curcumin supplements need help. Black pepper is often used for better bioavailability. Turmeric already contains the necessary components in-house to get the job done. Nature already has this figured out. Using whole foods as nature intended is always choice
So, the bottom line is, when you get curcumin straight from the source… TURMERIC, which has naturally occurring turmerones oils, you end up with a top-notch form of turmeric extract minus all the unhealthy additives and fillers.
How is the Turmeric Tested? Turmeric grows underground… like a root. BUT, it is actually a rhizome. It is basically part of an underground stem with roots shooting underneath.
Being underground, turmeric is exposed to whatever happens to be in the surrounding soil. Farming soils may become polluted with heavy metals and other contaminants. This has become a common issue with turmeric farms.
Check and see if the turmeric supplement you are prepared to buy is fully vetted and tested for heavy metals, pesticides, and other poisonous substances. You should always ASK. Going organic is always a good idea for maintaining optimal health. The purer, the better!
Why extraction is better! Indian style curry is delicious. Indian curry is made with many spices, including turmeric. But, are you getting the full benefits of turmeric from these traditional Indian dishes? Probably nowhere close to what you can expect from a turmeric extract.
Truth be told, concentrated turmeric extract will be loaded with many more healthy components. However, extracts should be made with non-toxic methods. Pure Synergy uses a holistic process involving organic ethanol, purified water, and CO2 to extract the compounds and retain their potency. All the capsules should contain all the wonderful phytochemicals you would expect from a quality turmeric extract. Pure Synergy calls it the SuperPure® process.
The Whole is Always Better than Its Equal Parts. Recent research has put into question curcumin only supplements. Are they really that beneficial towards your health? When you shortcut nature, one often falls short.
The overall synergy of the plant is missing when you snatch one component out of it for supplementation. Nature has created a perfect storm of healthy components in many whole foods. You can blow your money buying chelated vitamins and minerals that don’t absorb into your system easily. Supplement companies may use a chemical process with vitamins and minerals to help with assimilation. But as the saying goes, you can’t cheat Mother Nature!
So, AGAIN, it is best to use the whole plant to achieve its maximum benefits. A high-quality turmeric extract will work better than a curcumin one.
TO THE PLANETS HEALTH!
Pure Synergy cares about the quality of your health. This should be a no-brainer since they are in the business of offering high-quality products that help boost immune systems, promote anti-aging, protect heart and liver health, skin, and eye care… the list goes on.
But, Pure Synergy also has an eco-friendly mission. THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT. Our home. Planet Earth. A lot of what ends up on our plates cause horrific damage to our ecosystem. We, as a species, can not keep going down this road. Something has got to give. Supporting companies that care about Mother Earth is a great place to start.
THEY HAVE CUSTOM-BUILT GREEN FACILITIES. Pure Synergy is located in Moab, Utah. They decided to build their own facilities to minimize the carbon footprint. Pure Synergy has chosen to use water-conserving landscaping (xeriscaping), low-flow sanitation systems, energy-efficient equipment. Automatic light sensors, and have positioned buildings to make the best use of the sun to conserve energy.
WINDPOWER, FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY. Well, truth be told, I am by no means against fossil fuels… until we can find something that really works.
However, Pure Synergy was the first company in Utah to convert to 100% WIND POWER with their electricity usage. Keep in mind a substantial amount of energy is needed to manufacture, store, and distribute their products.
They created a citywide initiative in Moab to get involved with “Blue Sky Wind Power”. They have helped 13% of Moab’s energy users to renewable energy sources.
ORGANIC AGRICULTURE, GET READY. Pure Synergy is proud of their decision to continuously grow, source, and advocate the development of non-GMO, ORGANIC ingredients for their beloved product line. This has been part of their creed and eco-friendly mission from the get-go.
Supporting organic farming practices reduces the depletion of resources as well as invigorate our planet’s nutrient-rich soils. Their commitment to organics was small at first, but now have several thousands of acres dedicated to organic farming.
SuperPure®… FORGET THE REST
What is SuperPure®? This is the processing method developed by PURE SYNERGY. It means safe. Safe for everybody… customers… workers… the ecosystem… the planet.
Their exclusive SuperPure process ensures that the products retain their maximum potency and help the user achieve the optimal benefit from that particular product. It also ensures that the products are pure and safe to consume.
One thing to be aware of in the supplemental health industry, a lot of companies will cut corners to produce their products. They may use cheap and potentially harmful chemicals and solvents in their processing. Always read labels to make sure they don’t toss in some toxins into their finished product. It kind of defeats the purpose of taking a supplement.
SAVED BY ECO-PACKAGING!
PURE SYNERGY also continues its green philosophy when it comes to packing and shipping their goods. Only recycled and recyclable padded eco-envelopes and paper are used. They condense their packaging so they can use smaller shipping boxes that have less of an impact on the environment. All packaging materials are 100 percent recyclable and reusable.
PURE SYNERGY only uses
- biodegradable and organic–compliant cleaning agents
- vegetable-based inks and water-based coatings for all printed materials
- glass bottles for their products (easily recyclable)
- extensive in-house recycling for all paper, plastic, glass, and metal
- organic cotton
PURE SYNERGY never uses
- genetically modified or irradiated ingredients
- chemical processing aids in any product
QUALITY & TESTING… THE FUN NEVER STOPS!
Pure Synergy doesn’t take for granted that its proactive protocols lead to high-quality ingredients. They verify it by rigorous testing methods. They make sure heavy metals, microbes, pesticides, and solvent residues are not present in the finished product. They also make sure no dairy or gluten has contaminated the ingredients. GMOs are strictly forbidden.
As well as making sure unwanted ingredients are not present, they want to ensure that the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and other active compounds are present in the merchandise. After testing… they test AGAIN!
SEE FOR YOURSELF! Pure Synergy can back their testing with a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE. Each certificate has a lot number, the number of tests performed, and the results of each product.
Gaia Herbs was founded in 1987. Their mission from the start has been about connecting people, plants, and our wonderful planet Earth to bring forth HEALING. They focused on the fact that humans and plants evolved together. We are all part of a beautiful and diverse ecosystem and are forever linked.
Ancient cultures have used plants for healing since the dawn of time. A plethora of research supports the effects many of these plants have on the overall well-being of humans and animals. Indian Ayurvedic medicine, Traditional Chinese medicine, and Traditional European Herbal medicine have been using plants for healing for thousands of years. Gaia Herbs is deeply honored to bring this wisdom to you. They are committed to keeping the practice of herbalism alive and well.
PLANTING FOR YOUR HEALTH
Gaia Farm is where it all starts. Tucked away in the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. The chosen location is one of the most biodiverse areas in North America… the Pisgah Forest region. Not far away is the gigantic Nantahala National Forest. Extremely beautiful country.
Seeds are planted in their 60,000 square foot greenhouse. Seeds are often saved and put into the annual seed bank. This is an excellent way to keep tabs on the seed’s origins. A better way to ensure the plant’s purity.
All of their plants are grown organically because quality plants lead to higher caliber products. Gaia Herbs is driven to provide you with the purest and most potent ingredients possible for your health.
At harvest time, the plants are brought to their Certified Organic, FDA inspected production facility. The plants are extracted and added to their trusted herbal formulas. Gaia Herbs controls the entire supply chain to ensure quality.
Gaia Herbs also uses a certified organic farm to cultivate 90 plus herbs. No chemical fertilizer or pesticides are allowed. Genetically modified seeds are not even considered. They have been committed to organic farming since the start. They have been certified by Oregon Tilth since 1997 (one of the strictest USDA organic certifiers).
INTEGRITY… FOOD FOR THE SOUL
Have you ever heard of DNA testing for plants? Gaia Herbs wants to ensure you that what you read on the label is actually in the bottle. There is a herb ID located on the label which can be traced back to the actual batch of herbs that went into that particular formula.
The safety and efficacy of the herbal ingredients are a high priority at Gaia. Using the correct extraction technology and the perfect concentration of ingredients is carefully monitored in accordance with each herb’s physical properties. They are fully aware of which combinations of specific plants will the best opportunity to obtain the most optimal healing properties.
PURE SYNERGY is a Certified B Corporation®. These are businesses that satisfy the highest requirements of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and legal accountability.
POTENCY DONE RIGHT!
They use a patented Liquid Phyto-Caps® technology. This helps in the absorption of their concentrated plant extracts.
Their methods and strategies provide the most sufficient potency of each herb. They send all of their products through a very comprehensive process to verify the potency and effectiveness. This means keeping close tabs on extraction ratios and raw materials used in the formulations.
Most people don’t like to think about possible toxins in what they consume. Things like pesticides, heavy metals, and microbes. Don’t worry… Gaia takes care of this for you. Everything at GAIA is rigorously tested for contaminants.
All plants used in their herbal extracts must meet or exceed their purity standards. They go way beyond a mere visual inspection… all their herbs are tested to make sure no contaminants are present. This includes salmonella, E. coli, mold, yeast, or any other microbial contaminants.
Gaia Herb’s Turmeric Supreme – Extra Strength 120 v caps
Turmeric is the number one best-selling herb at Gaia Herbs. Turmeric has been used in Indian Ayurvedic medicine for 4000 years. Western doctors are now beginning to recommend its usage for its inflammatory properties.
Turmeric Supreme – Extra Strength is full of curcumin which is the main component that helps reduce inflammation. Black pepper has been added for easier absorption.
Gaia Herb’s Turmeric Supreme – Joint 120 v caps
This formulation of Turmeric Supreme is combined with other holistic herbs to promote healthier joint function.
- Quercetin is a plant flavonoid. You can find it in fruits, vegetables, and grains. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Devil’s claw is a flowering plant from South Africa. The plant’s roots are most commonly used as an anti-inflammatory to treat conditions such as arthritis. It is also useful to treat headaches and lower back pain. It is widely used in France and Germany.
- Ginger root is a well-known spice used in kitchens throughout the world. It is also extremely nutritious and has many health benefits. The reason it is added to Turmeric Supreme Joint is because of its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to help relieve pain.
- Black pepper for better absorption.
Devil’s Claw. Looks quite menacing, doesn’t it!
Gaia Herbs Turmeric Supreme – Heart 60 v caps
Gaia Herb’s Best formulation for your heart’s health. Turmeric is combined with other wonderful herbs for developing a healthier cardiovascular system.
- Resveratrol belongs to a group of compounds called polyphenols. These are tiny micronutrients that are found in certain plants used for food. They are chocked full of antioxidants and offer many health benefits. Resveratrol has become a highly demanded supplement in recent years.
- Hawthorn Berry is a popular medicinal plant. Its leaves, flowers, and berries are used to make medicine. It’s also well-known in holistic medicine. It is used to treat heart disease as well as to help lower blood pressure.
- Coleus plants are easy to grow and found in many gardens and planted in landscapes. They also contain properties that are good for your health. Coleus root contains forskolin. It is useful in treating high blood pressure and angina (chest pain)
- Black pepper is added for better assimilation of the turmeric.
- Ginger root is wonderful for improving your cardiovascular situation or maintaining it. It helps improve blood circulation, and it helps put a stop to the accumulation of fat in your arteries.
You have probably spotted Coleus in someone’s garden or landscaping.
Gaia Herbs Turmeric Supreme – Pain 120 v caps
Suffering from joint-related pain? Gaia Herbs has a turmeric formula specifically for pain. It also contains the following ingredients joined together to help lessen your pain without using harmful pharmaceuticals.
- Feverfew is often used for arthritis and migraine headaches. There is a compound in feverfew called parthenolide. It is useful for treating muscle spasms, reducing inflammation, and helping slow down or stop the constriction of blood vessels in your brain.
- Devil’s Claw is also used to treat painful conditions like backaches, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis
- Ginger is also beneficial for treating pain as well as inflammation. You can apply it to sore areas in an oil or cream form.
- Black pepper is also found in this product for absorption purposes.
- Jamaican Dogwood bark has pain-relieving properties. Scientific studies on animals have shown that an extract from the bark of this Dogwood tree is useful as a sedative, an anti-inflammatory, and a muscle relaxer.
- Rosemary leaf is a popular herb used by many to enhance the flavor of food. It actually has many health benefits as well. Rosemary oil works well as a mild pain reliever. This is well-known within folk medicine. It is also used in aromatherapy to treat chronic pain.
- Wild lettuce grows in many parts of the world. You can find it in North America, Europe, and the Middle East. It was used as an opium substitute in the 1900s by doctors. Lactucarium is a compound residing in wild lettuce that acts on your central nervous system to induce pain-relieving and sedative effects. Some people experience a “recreational high” of wild lettuce, but I am sure it is nowhere in the ballpark of what heroin does for some misguided folks… otherwise, we would have another pandemic on our hands.
Good Ole’ Wild Lettuce!
Gaia Herbs Turmeric Supreme – Sinus Support 60 v caps
Sinus problems plague many people in regions assaulted by pollen allergies. This Turmeric formula has been designed to help relieve your sinus issues.
- Stinging Nettle is that itchy plant you may have encountered while trekking in wooded areas. It will send you to hell on earth for a few minutes. It subsides and you are left without a rash. But, this plant is extremely good for you. Stinging Nettle is excellent for treating hay fever. It has shown some promise in relieving sneezing, itchy eyes, and a runny nose.
- Quercetin may be able to prevent the cells from releasing histamine which can cause mucous,
- Feverfew has been used for centuries in European folk medicine to treat sinus pain. It has been significantly studied in modern times to treat headaches.
- Black pepper has been added to aid in absorption.
- Goldenseal root is used in modern medicine. Goldenseal plants are native to the Eastern United States all the way up to South-Eastern Canada. It is often used for common colds and upper respiratory infections.
Oh my god! How do I get out of here. Be careful when you encounter these puppies in the woods. You will itch like crazy! Stinging Nettle. However, the plant is loaded with health benefits. I brew some of its leaves with green tea.
Nature’s Way believes that nature offers us the best foundation to be at our healthiest. Their mission is to harness the powers of nature, to embrace the wisdom of traditional health practices, and to use nature to support modern health methods. You can feel confident that Nature’s Way is very committed to the quality and care put into their products.
Nature’s Way has been providing the marketplace with health and wellness products for 50 years. They are well-established and offer over 1000 products.
Tradition and Science… The Key to Success!
Safety has always been a focus at Nature’s Way… as well as proving product effectiveness. Having a balance between traditional wellness practices and modern science is equally important. Nature’s Way believes this sets them apart from the competition… offering traditional wellness products that are supported by science.
Testing… Just Do It!
Nature’s Way goes above and beyond the industry standard. They have rigorous quality standards. They have picked the brains of the best in the wellness industry for over 5 decades to configure the finest health products. They proudly claim you can be secure that every bottle is of the highest quality.
Nature’s Way is the first major brand to be TRU-ID™. What does this mean? TRU-ID is an independent testing program that uses state-of-the-art DNA biotechnology to authenticate herbal products. This certifies that the product ingredients in the supplement container match the label.
TRU-ID provides continuing compliance which gives you every reason to trust their brand as containing the said ingredients. Simply look for the seal to find this certification.
GMO Can Go Take a Hike!
Partnered with the Non-GMO Project. This is in keeping with its mission to adhere to optimal sourcing, manufacturing, and testing practices. They are committed to providing Non-GMO products. Non-GMO Project is the only independent verification program in North America that ensures that products undergo the best practices for GMO avoidance during production. Look for the seal to find out which products are Non-GMO verified.
Show The Planet Some Love
Nature’s Way donates 1% off their gross sales from their Ultra Pure product line to environmental causes worldwide. They take recycling seriously. They also focus on leaving a smaller carbon footprint.
Quality Sourcing Nonstop
Nature’s Way sources its botanicals from places they thrive in. Sourcing herbs and various other plant sources Obtaining agricultural products from their native environment ensure quality and authenticity. It also helps keep local farmers and suppliers busy making a living.
About Nature’s Way Turmeric
Nature’s Way Turmeric – Standardized Extract 120 tabs
Doctor’s best was founded in 1990 by physicians. They are a science-based nutritional supplement company with over 200 product offerings. Their ingredients are carefully researched, manufactured with high-quality standards, and tested thoroughly every step of the way.
Doctor’s Best High Absorption CURCUMIN with BioPerine
- acts as a potent antioxidant for cellular protection against free radicals
- may support healthy joint function
- consists of a standardized extract from turmeric root… supplies 95% curcuminoids ( compounds within the turmeric plant which included curcumin).
- Curcuminoids may assist in relieving joint pain. It also benefits heart health, brain, and circulatory system health.
- Bioperine is added for better absorption. This is an extract from black pepper fruit)
- non-GMO, Gluten-free
Doctor’s Best Curcumin Phytosome (Featuring Meriva)
- Acts as a strong antioxidant offering free radical support
- curcumin is a compound found in turmeric root
- Supports healthy joint function, eye health, and your circulatory system
- Produced with patented Phytosome technology which enhances curcumin absorption
- Vegan, non-GMO, and Gluten-free.
Meriva is a formulation of turmeric extract mixed in with lecithin. Lecithin is a type of fat. You find it in food like soybeans and eggs. It has been shown to boost the absorption of curcumin 29 times better.
Curcumin is poorly absorbed when taken orally. It needs help to assimilate into your body. This is why Meriva has been added to provide you with the full health benefits of turmeric.
Thanks for reading. I hope offered you some good choices to purchase your turmeric or curcumin supplements. Ayurvedic medicine is the oldest medical practice existing today. This is a big deal in India. They really know their stuff. Have you ever tried YOGA? It is the most amazing healthy routine you can do for your mind and body… outside of food. Do not discount the wisdom from INDIA.
Many Blessings… Brian.
I have not intended to make any statements of miracle cures or trying to diagnose and ailments or illnesses. I do have affiliate links listed on this post and have left the choice up to you. Just about everything you buy online has affiliates associated with it. Thanks again.